A quick guide to the ABC's of Japanese.
There are three types of Japanese characters: (1) Hiragana, (2) Katakana, and (3) Kanji.
Here you can see all three characters in action for the sentence, "Tom loves pizza:"
In this course, we'll teach you how to memorize hiragana and katakana.
Also, we'll learn to pronounce them accurately.
Here are some of the ways we make this happen:
Rad Kana Mnemonics
For example, here are two different hiragana characters:
"Your chart of the kana with pictures and keywords has been very helpful. I am now learning katakana extremely fast, where in the past I’ve started several times and never got all the way through them."
Maybe you've already guessed this, but...
すし = su + shi = sushi
We also use sweet printable PDFs to practice writing these characters:
This is just scratching the surface.
Upon completing this course, you will be able to:
- Pronounce Japanese correctly (most foreigners don't)
- Learn the reading, writing, and pronunciation for Hiragana
- Learn the reading, writing, and pronunciation for Katakana
- Learn 700+ words AS you learn Hiragana & Katakana
We do this by using:
- Hiragana & Katakana charts
- Printer friendly Kana writing guides (these are so fun for learning to write!)
- Pro tips on common pronunciation mistakes
- A clear explanation of the writing system (finally!)
- Native audio tracks (fully downloadable)
- High quality flashcards for everything!
Time Required to Complete this Course
Vague answer: 1 week.
Specific answer: 8-12 hours.
So let's get started learning these crazy characters!
Plus, after you've mastered these bad boys you can take full advantage of sweet resources like our "Toby in Tokyo" video course.
Course Price: $0
Yeah, it's totally FREE. I know that a lot of books and schools charge money to teach you these things (less effectively, in most cases), but I don't want students to purchase anything from me until I've already generated proven results for them.
Get started now:
Most of the content in our courses and lessons is written by Niko, language nerd extraordinaire. But his writing is checked and supplemented by native Japanese linguaphiles like Rei (his wife). He gets input and direction from Caleb (the NS tech ninja) and Chie (art/design leader). And sometimes he acts as a mere proofreader for talented bilingual guest writers. With our effort combined, we hope to make your move to Japanese fluency fast, efficient, and fun. ^_^